Friday, March 21, 2014

The Book Thief


I am currently reading The Book Thief and all though I have not finished the book; I think it is very good. So far I have gotten to the fourth part of the book. My favorite part so far is the fourth part. It is my favorite part because there is a plot twist. The Jew named Max had arrived at the Hubermann's door and the behavior of Rosa Hubermann was surprising. It was surprising because Rosa was really guarded and protected over Liesel, who is her adopted daughter, and I did not think she would risk bringing a Jew into the house. The Hubermann's are not Jewish so this could be very dangerous. This story takes place in the time of Adolf Hitler and that is why it is seemed to be risky. Another part that made this chapter interesting is the fact that Hans Hubermann told Max's dad, Erik, right before he died that he would do anything for him and years later Max showed up at the Hubermann's door. This was a complete shock to me when I found out that he was at the door. I felt that Hans was more motivated to help Max because he felt that he needed to keep his promise to Erik when he died. So Hans stepped up and is playing the role to keep him safe and protected. He is almost playing the new role of his father. Just based off of what has happened so far I believe that he is doing a good job. Max never really had a father that was there for him and it is comforting to Max that he now has one. I think Max is really going to enjoy the rest of his life now that he has a fatherly figure around all the time. Another thing that was shocking to me was when Max created The Standover Man for Leisel. This is significant because Max wanted to show Liesel his appreciation of him looking over him. It also was his way of saying thank you for being there. I think this part was my favorite so far because it was so touching and there was many events that took place and caught me off guard.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment